In session 23 of A Marketing Podcast, Part 4 of How to advertise your business online, I’m talking about getting started with Facebook Advertising. I walk through the options available to you and the setup of a campaign.
Session 23: Getting Started with Facebook Advertising
Why use Facebook advertising?
First off here’s some stats (thanks to Zephoria.com):
- Worldwide, there are over 1.71 billion monthly active Facebook users (Facebook MAUs) which is a 15 percent increase year over year.
- Age 25 to 34, at 29.7% of users, is the most common age demographic.
- Facebook users are 76% female
- Every 60 seconds on Facebook: 510 comments are posted, 293,000 statuses are updated, and 136,000 photos are uploaded
- At 1.49 billion, Facebook has more monthly active users than WhatsApp (500 million), Twitter (284 million) and Instagram (200 million)—combined.
As you can see the pure volume and usage of Facebook make it a viable place to spend your advertising dollars.
However, the real advantage, in my opinion, is the amazing level of targeting that can be achieved through Facebooks advertising platform. Everything from location based targeting, to those who like a certain page and those who match the profiles of those who like a certain page. Meaning you can actually target people who like a competitor, and those who match the profiles of those who like your competitor.
Another reason to give Facebook a try for is that it’s fairly inexpensive to run some trail campaigns to see what sort of results you can expect.
There are many more reasons to give Facebook a try, but the biggest one is the different options they provide for your advertising. From building your Facebook community, to driving traffic to your promotions on your website, to purchases right in the app.
Personal Accounts & Business Manager
In order to perform advertising within Facebook you need to make use of a personal account, or link an account to a business through Facebooks Business Manager.
Your options and strategies behind each
- Boost your Facebook Posts
- Promote your page
- Reach people near your business
- Increase brand awareness
- Send people to your website
- Get installs of your app
- Raise attendance at an event
- Get Video Views
- Collect leads for your business
- Increase conversions on your website
- increase engagement in your app
- Get people to claim your offer
- Promote a product catalog
Creating your first campaign
It’s super easy so lets walk through it. Once logged in navigate to the “Create Ad” option in your Facebook menu items (top right little down arrow).
You’ll be presented with the options I mentioned a minute ago, and all you have to do is select the one that aligns best with your campaign/desired outcome. Facebook will pre-populate some of the settings you need to configure to achieve that options objectives.
Simple work through those options and enter the configurations your ‘re after.
- Placements – where your ad shows within the Facebook site and mobile apps.
- Budget & Schedule
- The Ad or Post to use in your advertising
It’s that simple. Your first campaign is good to go. Of course you’ll need to add your credit card before ads will be approved.
Facebooks 20% rule
Facebook reviews and approves your ads before they start showing in other peoples feeds. One of the biggest seasons why ads a denied is due to Facebook’s 20% text rule.
So make sure that with your creative, in particular your designed banner ads, that your imagery does not include more than 20% of the image in text.
Reporting and monitoring
As with the other advertising channels I’ve discussed t’s imperative that you setup your goals/conversions in Google Analytics so we can cross check Facebook’s recorded data and the effect it had on our website.
Pixel Tracking – Make sure to install your Facebook tracking pixel. It will provide that valuable conversion data that we need to measure our campaigns effectiveness and ROI.
The Facebook pixel allows you to achieve several things:
- Conversion tracking (conversions)
- Remarketing list building (custom audiences)
Links & Resources
- Session 20: How to Advertise your business online
- Session 21: Search Engine Marketing
- Session 22: Display Advertising
- Facebook Stats 2016
- Facebook 20% text checker
Thanks for listening in!
If you have any questions about this session, leave them in the comments section below. If you enjoyed the show, let your friends know by using the social sharing buttons below. Your help sharing the podcast will allow me to help more business owners and marketers just like you be more strategic!
Don’t forget to subscribe to the podcast through iTunes, or your favorite podcast app/service. Please leave your reviews on the iTunes store. Ratings and Reviews are a huge factor in the success of the podcast, and your support of the show means a lot to me. I read every single review, so be honest and let me know if there’s something I can improve on.
Join the community while you listen.
While you listen to the podcast, why not join the AMP community to stay in touch with Matt and continue to develop your marketing skills. You'll get first access to webinars and community only discounts to future online courses and products as well!