In session 30 of A Marketing Podcast, I’m talking about micro-moments marketing and how to execute marketing that focuses on converting consumers in the micro-moments they have every day. By the end of this session you’ll understand what a micro-moment is and how to market in a way that gives you the best chance possible to convert consumers during their micro-moments into customers of your businesses products or services.
Session 30: Micro-moments marketing for small business
What are micro moments?
Mobile is heavily involved in the micro-moments environment
- 82% of people surveyed check their phones within 15 minutes of waking up
- 87% of people surveyed have their phones on them day and night
- 68% of people surveyed check their phone within 15 minutes of waking up in the morning
- 30% of people surveyed are willing to tell you that they feel anxious if they don’t have their phone on them.
Session 19: A chat with Jonathan LaCoste – We discusses micro-moments and mobile first marketing. Listening Now
How to focus on micro moments with your marketing
- Developing the right content
- Optimizing your website for mobile
- Paid Advertising (device specific)
Developing the right content
When in micro-moment mode – consumers want answers not questions. So give them answers. Here’s some things to keep in mind when creating content specifically to capitalize on micro-moments.
- Create content that answers a specific question
- Create content that shows how-to do something
- Create content that is simple and quick to read
- Create content that provides direction (both metaphorically and how to get somewhere – for local business)
- Create content that is quick to identify with – don’t make it hard to read or written for a specific audience. Make it general in tone, but valuable at the same time.
Even if it’s a sales pitch piece, make sure the pitch is quick and the value is presented as quickly as possible. For example – of you’re selling a product that’s currently in style – say so and identify how to get it and how much it is. Don’t mess around with all the sales jargon – in micro moments we want answers not questions.
I referenced a couple other examples in the show.
How to optimize your website for mobile?
SEO optimization relating to
- responsive websites, or mobile sites
- load times (must be fast on mobile – less than 3 seconds according to Google)
- Simplistic layouts, not just responsive, but clean and only show content that you need
Paid advertisements role in Micro-moment marketing
Make use of paid advertising specifically to target mobile devices. In addition to targeting mobile devices, develop campaigns and specific messages to address micro-moments directly.
As with all marketing, micro-moments marketing requires that we monitor our progress and identify opportunities as we execute.
Start by creating a baseline report for your website focusing on mobile traffic and engagement. This way we can refer back to the changes in that traffic and identify if our micro-moment marketing has developed an increase in traffic and a higher level of engagement from mobile devices. Ideally, an increase in conversions from mobile devices as well.
As with all paid advertising campaigns you want to make sure you’re comparing your paid results to your websites analytics to see how well it’s performing. In the case of micro-moments focus on the conversions related to mobile traffic.
Links & Resources
- [DOWNLOAD] Micro-moments: Your Guide to winning the shift to mobile
- Session 19: A chat with Jonathan LaCoste
- 12 Page Free Marketing Strategy Template
Thanks for listening in!
If you have any questions about this session, leave them in the comments section below. If you enjoyed the show, let your friends know by using the social sharing buttons below. Your help sharing the podcast will allow me to help more business owners and marketers just like you be more strategic!
Don’t forget to subscribe to the podcast through iTunes, or your favorite podcast app/service. Please leave your reviews on the iTunes store. Ratings and Reviews are a huge factor in the success of the podcast, and your support of the show means a lot to me. I read every single review, so be honest and let me know if there’s something I can improve on.
Join the community while you listen.
While you listen to the podcast, why not join the AMP community to stay in touch with Matt and continue to develop your marketing skills. You'll get first access to webinars and community only discounts to future online courses and products as well!